Friday, September 18, 2026

The Lower Rattlesnake Neighborhood Council still has a picture of Prescott School with the Missoula International School sign on it's website

 



This is a picture copied froom the LRNC website with MIS sign - still there in 2026 

It is curious why the Lower Rattlesnake Neighborhood Council still has a picture of Prescott School with a Missoula International School sign on it's website. 


Is the LRNC in favor of Prescott School being a public school again? Judging by experience, it does not appear that it is. In my opinion, of course. To be fair, I really don't know the totality of what actions have taken place by the LRNC.  When has this group advocated for the reopening of Prescott School for public school children? Again, this is my opinion. If there has been, please leave a comment.

People on the LRNC did not appear at meetings that were pertinent to saving Prescott School for the public school children since it was closed in 2004 until Missoula International School moved out at the end of 2022(according to a newspaper). Again, if I am wrong on this please post a comment below. 

I attended many meetings when Prescott School was on the agenda and even when it was not. There were Board Meetings, Property Meetings. Finance and Operation Meetings, P&P Meetings(Policy and Personell), and I'm sure more types of MCPS Meetings. I also spoke on behalf of Prescott School at some LRNC and URNC Meetings. 

I can't really remember seeing a LRNC at these MCPS Meetings - but like I said, if this is incorrect, please comment below. Many times I was by myself, and sometimes with another citizen that cared about how MCPS managaged it's properties.

If a member of the LRNC did come to a MCPS meeting, was it in favor of Missoula International School leasing Prescott School? Or was it because this person was in favor of keeping the playground only and not the school itself? Or did I miss something and a member did support Prescott School as a school?

Every resident of the Rattlesnake Vally, in the low, mid, or upper, has a stake in Prescott School, not just the lower Rattlesnake residents. The lower Rattlesnake residents have a closer proximity to Prescott, which would make them more aware of the school and would be impacted in that way, however, again, Prescott School is of extreme importance to all residents and children of the Rattlesnake Valley. Prescott School was the first school (outside of a very old wood school as I recall) in the Rattlesnake Valley (with a beginning in 1891) and deserves to be cherished not only for the school itself but for the historical aspect as well.

An experience that our family had at one time a couple of years ago supports my view of the LRNC. A member of the LRNC came to speak with my spouse and I while we were raking and cleaning up the grounds at Prescott School. He discouraged us from doing this work. He said that it was probably not going to be a school again as the boiler needed a million dollars of work in addition to other obstacles to reopening the school. This signified to me, by his narrative, and as a leader of the LRNC for many years, that this group is not a friend of Prescott School, again, as in reopening it. I would think that others would agree with my opinion after reading about this encounter. Perhaps others have had different experiences. 

I have offended anyone I apologize. If what I've said rings a bell for any LRNC or URNC member please speak up for Prescott School as a school.Please speak up for our children, so it can continue the          educating them in a happier environment, which Prescott was for many children. They are counting on you. Prescott School is a historic landmark and needs to be protected as a school.

Edited 9-2026 - To be fair, since I have been up close and personal to the Prescott School issue since 2003(and even before that) and have seen mismanagement and some corruption I have realized that the school district is not always honorable in it's dealings. Perhaps the people on the LRNC aren't as sceptacle of MCPS as I am and are more trusting of the MCPS recommendations. This may be the case and is perfectly understandable. 

Perhaps we could work together! Many people would like to see a group that promotes the reopening of Prescott School. It would be great if all Rattlesnake residents could rally around Prescott School. 

Thank you!

Prescott School Missoula Advocate
September 20, 2026

edited on September 22, 2026
edited on September 29, 2026
edited on October 3, 2026 


No comments:

Post a Comment